Master of Art Degree in English Language
About the Programme
Candidates for the M.A. Programme may specialize in any of the following general areas.
- English Language
- Literature-in-English (drawn from any of the major genres)
DURATION OF PROGRAMMES
- i) The Full-TimeA. Programme would run a minimum of three semesters, and a maximum of four semesters.
- ii) The Part timeA. Programme would run for a minimum of six semesters and maximum of eight semesters.
DOMAIN OF THE PROGRAMMES
The M.A. Programmes in English Language and Literature is domiciled in the Department of English and Literary Studies,Faculty of Arts.
In the MA . programmes, the assessment of students’ achievements would be based on:
- Terminal examinations administered at the end of the course;
- Term papers, Seminar papers,
- Field Research/Reports, Group projects, etc.
All continuous assessment scores shall constitute between 30 – 40% of the total scores for a course, while the formal examination shall constitute 60-70% of the total scores for a course.
EXTERNAL EXAMINATION SYSTEM
For the M.A. programmes, there are duly appointed external examiners who assess and certify the overall performance of the students in their dissertations and thesis and any other aspects of the evaluation process that may from time to time be approved by Senate.
2.1 EXAMINATIONS, GRADING PROCEDURE AND RESULTS WEIGHTING
(a) In addition to continuous Assessment, final examinations shall be given at the end of a course. The total scores for Continuous Assessment shall not be less than 30%, and not be more than 40% of total scores for a course.
(b) PASS MARK
The minimum pass mark for Ph.D. courses shall be 50%.